Monday, April 27, 2009

PC for Eskimos?

Today I learned about the Inuit people, commonly referred to as Eskimos. I found it interesting to learn that Eskimos is a negative way to refer to these people of the north, because "Eskimo" means "eater of raw fish". This name first originated from the Algonquian family in Indian languages. Because these Algonquian languages were the first the English heard first, this is how "Eskimo" got added to the English language. I found this presentation interesting and these group of people interesting. Like discussions of other group cultures in class, I wondered if Inuits are upset about how they were being referred to as "eater of raw fish" as opposed to Inuits, which means "the people". Overall I found this information interesting because we are always talking about unrepresented groups and I think Inuits are one of these groups. Inuits are not Indians as many commonly believe, they are a separate group of people with a culture and language of their own. Some Inuits still live day-to-day as their ancestors have before them while others lead more modern lives.

1 comment:

  1. I find this really interesting as well because I actually taught a language arts lesson for my TE402 class about the Inuit people. I read to the class a story about the tundra and how the Inuit people survived there. The book repeatedly referred to the Inuit people as Eskimos. I will have to go back and check and see when the book was published because it might now be out of date and not be PC

    ReplyDelete