Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Boy Meets Boy

I was really floored by David Levithan's Boy Meets Boy. I loved the language he used while writing, almost at times like he was pairing his lyrics alongside a song. When he says things like, "I see trees of green and dresses of white...what a wonderful world" to in the acknowledgments where he says, "all the umbrellas in London couldn't stop me from showering my editor praise" he just has an amazing way of hitting the reader with the right words. I even love how the narrator has a familiar voice that youn can connect with and the comic relief in every turn of a page. I love the scene where Joni kisses Paul and they both say "what are you doing" and Paul says, "I'm gay" and Joni says, "okay cool". This scene and others make me laugh and make me relate back to my own friendships.

I also enjoyed reading Levithan's article addressed to librarians and their important roles in society. I never thought of a librarian as having such a vital role in society, but now I know exactly what is is. I love how Levithan says librarians don't hold a collection of books, but a representation of books. They alone control the flow of books on display and can help students realize their identity. He also talks about how people how people have homophobias that keep others from accessing important and rich literature and how it is no different than discrimination. I agree, and I am further agree that many people don't consider homophobia as a form of discrimination. More importantly, not just people but our society as a whole. I am still appalled to this day that hate crimes have not been added to legislation just as Levithan mentions people not considering homophobia as a means of representing it in the classroom. This really aggravates me, homosexuality is not an issues like Levithan says...it's an identity.

1 comment:

  1. i totally agree with you.. i really enjoyed boy meets boy and the way Levithan put in comic relief. I think by Levithan adding comic relief to the story he allowed the reader to really connect with Paul.

    ReplyDelete