Monday, April 6, 2009

We're All Human

I wanted to comment on this for a while now, but due to hashing out a battle with this blog I couldn't sign in till now. I mentioned class last week about Obama's comment about Special Olympics in a joke on Jay Leno last week in class. When I first heard of his comment I was driving in my friend's car and I felt so hurt and let down by Obama. Up until this point he was virtually a perfect leader in my eyes and the radio had said "I guess the Democrats can finally take that!" And I began to think about this with a friend, how yes this was the first "slip up" on Obama's part that we've seen thus far. I began to think about what he had said, but more importantly on what I have said as a student about to become a Special Education teacher. Just the other day I said "what are you retarded!?" to a friend and I am embarrassed to admit repeating it now. I can't imagine someone taping it and putting it on national television! There are so many times that I say things because they have been droned into my everyday language. I remember back when I was in Elementary and I used to always say "that's so gay" until one day my mom had said to me "do you realize what you are saying?" and we had a long discussion over it. Thinking back to what Obama said, I sympathize more with him now than scold him for what he had said. This only makes him more human, like someone pointed out in our class last week. More importantly, what he said has forced me to reexamine what I say everyday and to alter the vocabulary that has been associated with my language for so long.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you Katie... as much as I hate to admit it, I've said my fair share of things that afterwards I think, 'wow I probably shouldn't have said that.' Like you said, I too think we are all guilty of saying things without thinking, it's just apart of being human and making mistakes. I can't imagine "someone taping it and putting it on national television" either, I would be mortified! But it's really important to see that Obama did the right thing and apologized immediately, I think that really shows his true character. And more importantly you are right in saying we should all reexamine our everyday language! Good post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I think we can agree that this slip-up shows a "human" side, it also shows how absolutely ingrained these ideas are in our culture. As president, Obama spends a lot of time carefully thinking about everything he is going to say in order not to offend and a special olympics joke still slipped out. That just shows how second nature things like this really are to a lot of people. The entire meaning of the word special has really changed in our society to be a sort of insult. Does changing the language people use help change the problem? Obviously attitudes need to change as well so can using different language help change attitudes?

    ReplyDelete